The Olive Branch for Children welcomes new volunteers in any capacity that you are able to assist. We appreciate volunteers working with us at our headquarters in Woodbridge, Ontario, as well as onsite with our many projects in Tanzania. Many of our good-hearted, offsite staff are volunteers.
For those who volunteer outside Tanzania
We have many opportunities:
The "Spread the Word" Program - this involves spreading the word about us, our work and our needs. This can be accomplished by telling your friends, associates, and acquaintances about this charity when you visit them, or through email, letters, at parties or other events. You can put ads in the newspaper, write articles for online and offline magazines, newspapers, blogs, and other online places you visit. Tell people about us on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, or whatever might be your favourite social network.
The "Funding Specialist Program" - whether you have a knack for fundraising or this is your first time doing it, fundraising is a very rewarding endeavor if it is for a good cause, and The Olive Branch for Children is definitely a good cause, helping children overcome the ravages of AIDS/HIV in their communities and the effects it has on everyone. The ways to fundraise are endless:
- Join together with your neighbours and have yard sales;
- Collect bottles and cans, take them to a depot, and donate the proceeds;
- Do odd jobs for people and donate any payment you receive;
- Teach people whatever you are good at in exchange for a donation;
- Talk to people about ways that they, too, can fundraise;
- Be a fundraising expert and send us your ideas!
Work for donations - we invite a specialist to donate a certain amount of time in his/her area of expertise in exchange for a donation.
Talk about us in your school, college, church, and in any organizations you are affiliated with. Even if you only talk about us to 7 people in a month, one of them may have a good idea for us, or may be able to help us financially, or may know someone who can.
Do you have fundraising experience or incentive? Please send us your ideas!
We need everyone to talk to everyone else about us.
Onsite projects in Tanzania
Home Based Care Program
Our program provides at-home medical services, support and counselling for over 600 individuals living with HIV in 13 different rural Tanzania villiages. The clients of our Home Based Care Program receive additional nutritional support through food and seed distributions. With the help of our Home Based Care Team, our Home Based Care clients receive at-home health education and on-going assistance in understanding how to use and be adherent to their medicine regimens.
The able-bodied clients of our Home Based Care program are divided into income-generating groups. The Olive Branch for Children has already established gardens in 8 communities for the benefit of our clients and has helped establish 2 fish ponds, 1 goat project, 1 Cassava farm and 1 Chicken project, all for the clients of our Home Based Care Program.
In 2010, The Charity initiated its vulnerable women and widows program for HIV+ women. Although in its pilot phase, groups have been established in 3 communities. The groups act as support groups, helping HIV+ women gain their independence emotionally and financially. For more information, please click on Faraja Group.
The Olive Branch for Children hosts regular HIV testing and has tested over 2500 since 2009. The Charity assists our Home Based Care clients by ensuring that their immune systems are regularly tested. Our testing days are partnered with community-wide health education programs.
Montessori Outreach Program
The Olive Branch For Children (TOBFC) offers a truly unique and life-changing volunteer experience. There are many ways YOU can get involved in contributing to the gift of education and hope for the future for hundreds of children:
- Travel to Tanzania and volunteer directly in the schools. TOBFC is always in need of Montessori teachers (or other trained teachers) to run training programs or provide support in various ways to the teachers. There is no minimum time commitment and TOBFC will tailor your on-ground volunteer time to your area of interest, your skill set, or needs of the school(s). This experience offers an incredible opportunity to support Montessori education in another culture and see the universality of the effectiveness of the Montessori materials and methodology.
- Partner with TOBFC. The program needs teachers and school communities to partner with our Montessori Outreach program, helping to support the training, ongoing professional development and development of the schools. Sponsorship and donations are just a couple of ways you can give the gift of education.
- Construct a Casa School. TOBFC supports communities registered in our program in their efforts to construct their Montessori schools. Encourage your community to transform a community in Tanzania by building a Montessori Kindergarten school. It costs approximately $14,000.00 to build and fully equip a school.
- “I can truthfully say that volunteering in the Montessori schools at the Olive Branch for Children has changed my life.
It was gratifying to see how appreciative and humble the teachers were to receive my knowledge, time and skills. If only they would understand that they were fulfilling me more than I was them!
To see the children so engrossed in their work, oblivious to the dust and dirt flying around and to see them beaming with awe when receiving sparkly stickers was emotionally overwhelming! A true lesson of appreciating the little things in life. Thank you to the Olive Branch for Children for giving me this invaluable experience.”
Dolly has 15 years of Montessori teaching experience, 5 years of which are in Early Childhood education
- “Volunteering for the Olive Branch for Children afforded me the opportunity to see the possibilities of creativity in Montessori in a challenging environment and reinforced for me, the universality and sheer genius of the pedagogy. My Tanzanian experience enriched my perspectives on teaching and impacted my daily practice.”
35 happy years of Montessori classroom experience
Casa, Elementary and Teacher Education Lecturer, Examiner
Application Form for our Volunteers
We gratefully appreciate your support.
Please tell others about us.